I just made the best EVAH smoothie with almond milk…delicious! I’m often asked by new people starting Shaklee 180™ or by those that just like a great smoothie what type of milk I add to my smoothies. The possibilities are endless and it’s really about playing with different kinds of milk to decide what you like best and the consistency. If you use water and blend your smoothies you’ll have a thinner smoothie and it might not be as favorable or have as smooth of a texture.
Here are a few of my favorite choices to use in my Shaklee 180™ smoothie (beyond just cow’s milk):
- Soy Milk – Soy milk is made from grinding dried soybeans with water. It has about the same amount of protein as cow’s milk. It generally has some added sugar but unsweetened soy milk will not have more sugar than cow’s milk which contains lactose. It’s a good option if you’re allergic or sensitive to cow’s milk proteins or to lactose. Soy is a crop that is often genetically modified so if you’re wary of GMO foods, buy organic soy milk.
- Coconut Milk – Coconut milk is quite popular right now. It’s rich, creamy, and naturally sweet. It also has some health benefits including the ability to raise HDL, the good cholesterol that your body needs. It also has a significant amount of Medium Chain Fatty acids which have been shown to facilitate weight loss.
- Nut Milks – There are also many types of milk found in your supermarket that are made from nuts and seeds. Almond milk and hemp seed milk are two examples. These milks often have added sugars but can be a good alternative to cow’s milk and soy milk if you have food sensitivities.
- Yogurt – Finally, you don’t have to use milk as the foundation for your smoothie. You can use yogurt. It’s a good choice if you want make thicker smoothie or you want some additional protein. Greek yogurt is higher in protein than traditional yogurt. And just like milk, you can find yogurt made from soy, coconut and other alternatives.
- Juice – If milk of any type isn’t to your liking, you may want to thin your smoothies with a bit of juice. Apple juice is often paired with smoothies because it’s sweet. You’ll want to find the right juice for each smoothie recipe you create.
What do you like to use in your smoothie? Interested in Shaklee 180™ make sure you contact me today!