Pets are fun to have around and are good for helping children learn how to care for another being. However, they are also a lot of work. To help pets become more a member of your family, try these fun and creative pet tricks.
- Potty Training Dogs – Put a jingle bell by the door, ring it regularly and it teaches your dogs to ring the bell to go potty. If you ring it yourself each time you take them outside, they’ll quickly learn to alert you of their need on their own. Our dog quickly learned this trick and it saved us from SO many accidents!
- Kitty Smells – To cut down on cat litter smells; build a cat box for your cat. Make the box so that the kitty has to climb up stairs, then down stairs to go. The smells will be trapped in the box and your cat will have privacy, too.
- Use a Laser Light – You know you cannot train cats to behave, so quit trying. Instead, distract them. When your cat is doing something, you do not want them to do, get out the laser light to distract them from whatever they are doing.
- Protect Your Drapes – Cats love to play under and on drapes. Instead of worrying, put weighted tension rods on the bottom. These will not harm your cat but they will frighten it enough to make it stop wanting to play with them.
- Avoid Feeding Messes – For cat and dog food, just attach a pour spout. This will help you avoid making a mess as you pour the food into their bowls.
- Put Shower Caps on Them – When you bathe your pet, to keep soap and water out of their ears put on a shower cap. Also have your camera ready because this makes for a great photo!
- Scratch Post Tip – If you want to teach your cat not to scratch the carpet, ensure that all scratch posts are made out of something besides carpet or at least inside-out carpet so that it feels differently than the carpet.
- Scratching Furniture Trick – Want to train your cat not to scratch the furniture? Put sticky two-sided tape everywhere you want them to avoid. Cats won’t like the sticky feeling and will avoid it. After a while you can forgo the tape.
- Kill Bad Dog Breath –Add a little parsley to their food for fresh breath!
- Do the Penny Shake – Get an old coke can and fill it with pennies about half way. Then tape up with duct tape. When your pet is doing something you don’t want them to do, shake the can and say NO. The loud sound will get their attention and they will want to avoid that sound in the future.
Remember, even though you love your pet as a member of the family, they are not human. The more you can learn about your pet’s personality and how animal behavior works, the more you’ll be able to raise happy and healthy pets.
Why not? Great tips for free!