Chlorine Bleach is one of the top 10 toxic and hazardous household products, sold on shelves today. Some common names for chlorine bleach: chloramine, sodium hypochlorite, bleach, hydrochloric acid, trihalomethanes, disinfection byproducts. This highly toxic cleaner is the number onemost swallowed cleaner by children causing poising. Exposure should be avoided, yet it is sold like crazy and allowed on the shelves of our stores. It has a horrible odor and causes respiratory problems, skin irritations and the list keeps going. If you use bleach, stop! There are alternatives that work just as well and aren’t toxic.

Just yesterday, KGW.com out of Oregon, reported a recall on Every Day Living Bleach, manufactured by, KIK Corporation. This manufacture produces leading products for over 500 companies that we see all over the television and on store shelves (Johnson & Johnson, L’Oreal, Target Brands,etc). The bleach was sold at Fred Meyer and QFC stores beginning January 17, 2008. These bottles of bleach could potentially explode when you open them! Woops! The manufacture says to put the bleach into two garbage bags and in an area that will not be harmed if it explodes. Hopefully, everyone reading this does not buy bleach but if you do, this is another reason to stop! If for some reason you have bought this highly toxic cleaning agent you will need the UPC code and can call 1-800-479-6603, ext. 656. Maybe you don’t buy the cleaner but know of someone that does, you should pass on this information and let them know of safe alternatives from a company that has had zero product recalls in 51 years!

Consider natural DIY household cleaners as an alternative>>>

Previous articleLead Test Kit
Next articleBPA FREE Sippy Cup Review
Hello, I’m Sommer and this has been my blogging home since 2007. I’m a juggler of life, a protective mama bear and I enjoy travel, wine, sunshine and good books. I hope that through this site you’ll be able find something that inspires you to live a little greener, healthier and happier. Even if it's just a yummy recipe or a personal story of mine.

6 COMMENTS

  1. Hello! I just subscribed to your blog…it looks so great! I wanted to read what you wrote about bleach bc there is this huge release of info on bleach baths for kids with Eczmea. UGH. Our four yr old has suffered from severe Eczema and allergies since he was a baby and we went through all kinds of treatments. Doctors called him a “gray area” and offered little hope aside of potent meds and creams that we felt could be harmful in their own ways. I believe modern medicine has it’s place, and am happy there is research going on…but we wanted a safe alternative for our little guy. He started taking Vidazorb chewable probiotics and shortly after began really getting better. He is now a normal, healhty and happy boy and has only small areas that break out…thank goodness for our answer to prayer! So- I am disturbed that alll these articles are coming out on bleach baths! I know first hand how desperate parents feel for help with this condition (it is awful), but agree with you that bleach is so extreme and am glad you pointed out how harmful it really is…and a carcinogen…oh my!!! Nasty potent stuff…I just hope that with my story on our son’s healing with his Vidazorb and your article (as well as others) that maybe others will think twice about using bleach for not only a bath, but other household uses. Thanks, Caroline

  2. warning bleach is deadly toxic trust me it can kill a baby, i cleaned with it and the headaches were so bad it is a cancer feeding agent , try other things for it like old mans weed from australia!

  3. A little clarification. Bleach, by itself, is not a carcinogen. It can oxidize organic compounds in water to form trihalomethanes, some of which have been shown to cause cancer in some experiments. Used sparingly, with proper ventilation, it's one of the best and most active disinfecting agents in common use.

    One shouldn't generally worry about disinfecting baby toys. The way to jhave a strong, healthy immune system is to use it a lot. I use it (highly diluted) to disinfect reusable milk containers, and it works far better than any “green” alternative I've tried.

    Its oral toxicity is less due to its oxidizing potential and more due to its alkaline pH. It causes caustic burns similar to lye. That's why they say not to induce vomiting, and instead to give vinegar or lemon juice (to neutrslize it). Once the oxygen in the bleach (NaClO) has reacted with stomach contents, the rest of it is table salt (NaCl), and non-toxic.

    DK

  4. This is why using non-bio cleaners are so important and can make a dramatic improvement to your family's health especially if anyone of your family members suffer from skin conditions or other immune related problems.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

eleven − 3 =