I have fond memories of my great grandma Gertrude canning beans, tomatoes, candy pickles, corn and delicious beets. We had fresh jam and vegetables year around from her garden. It seems as though canning is a lost art. The generation “x” population is busy and canning their own food, let alone gardening is not a priority. I think this is changing with more of us being scared by food recalls, pesticides on our food from who knows where and the economy. It is affordable to garden and can your own food to eat year around.
These are all good signs that the canning is an art form celebrating our seasonal food that is coming back to life:
1. There are now organizations such as Canning Across America (CAA) that are nationwide! Their goal is to promote safe food preservations and the joys of building through food.
“We believe in celebrating the bounty of local and seasonal produce and taking greater control of our food supply. Together, we can”
2. There is a National Can it Forward Day! We’ve missed it for 2011 but you can certainly mark your calendar for 2012! Millions participated this year!
3. Farmer Market Coalitions exist and they provide canning demonstrations, recipes and more!
4. Canning Classes exist all over the United States to help people learn how to can safely. Check out a class near you by clicking here.
I’m motivated to try making my own preserves and canning some fresh green beans and tomato sauce. I am going to have to rely on the Ball® website to help get me started! Their step by step guide, recipes and videos make canning seem achievable and almost easy!
Want to start canning? Enter to win The Ball® Canning Discovery Kit™
The Ball® Canning Discovery™ Kit provides an easy and affordable way to start canning in just three simple steps. This kit is designed to demystify the home canning process and make fresh preserving accessible, for even the most novice canner. Whether a person has limited kitchen space or looks to preserve a handful of fresh produce from the farmer’s market, the kit offers a beginner’s approach to small-batch canning.
Giveaway has ENDED! Congrats to Katey!
How to enter:
No purchase necessary. Simply leave a comment telling me why you want to start canning or if you can why you enjoy canning.
For additional entries:
- Subscribe to Green and Clean Mom’s RSS feed or email updates and leave me a comment telling me you have subscribed.
- Follow me on Twitter and leave me a comment telling me your Twitter handle.
- Like me on Facebook and leave me a comment telling me you’ve liked Green and Clean Mom.
Open to U.S. residents only. The giveaway will end on Friday, August 26th at noon, EST. The winner will be notified via email. The winner will provide their shipping address and phone number to the PR firm handling the prize.
Photo Credit: Ball® Canning
What do you have to lose?
10 years of my best, healthy eating tips in one document, just because I love you. Just sign up and BAM, you can instantly download all 11 pages. It is good stuff, I promise.