Bug bites are simply the worst. You are outside enjoying the evening and B-A-M, an annoying mosquito takes a bite out of you. Immediately, a red bump appears and starts to itch. If you’re like me or my children, your skin is sensitive and the bite swells and lasts for days, often turning into an itchy sore. Yuck.
To avoid the bites all together, I’m pretty vigilant about wearing a bug repellent and always harp on the kids to remember to apply some. Unfortunately, many over the counter repellents have not so nice ingredients. If you are looking for an alternative and do not mind making your own, try this recipe for bug repellent lotion bars. They are great for camping and they smell good (just not to the bugs)!
Here is what you need:
- 3/4 C. coconut oil
- 1/4 C. shea butter
- 3 tbsp. beeswax pellets
- 1 tbsp. carrier oil (any carrier oil will suffice)
- 15 drops of NowFoods Citronella oil
- 10 drops of NowFoods Tea Tree oil
- 10 drops of NowFoods Clove oil
- 10 drops of NowFoods Rosemary oil
- Silicone mold of your choice
- Place the coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax in a microwave safe dish.
- Heat in the microwave for 30-second increments stirring until melted (if you prefer to heat on the stove top, place the dish over a pot with water. Bring the water to a boil to heat and melt the ingredients).
- Once the mixture is melted, add in the essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone mold and let set. To speed up the setting time I placed my mold in the fridge.
- Once set, gently rub the bars on your skin as a bug repellent.
Caution: NOW® Essential Oils are highly concentrated and can be irritating to the skin. Avoid direct contact with skin and always dilute essential oils before topical use. Discontinue if rash appears after skin contact. Not for internal use. Avoid contact with eyes. Consult healthcare practitioner before using if pregnant/nursing
Disclaimer: I am a NOW Foods Ambassador. I am compensated for my time. All opinions are my own.
What do you have to lose?
10 years of my best, healthy eating tips in one document, just because I love you. Just sign up and BAM, you can instantly download all 11 pages. It is good stuff, I promise.