This holiday season consider giving the gift of a book, but rather than a traditional book that is made from trees and uses fuel to deliver, consider an EcoBrain eBook – the green reading choice. eBooks are instantly downloadable and readable on your desktop. No special equipment is needed for EcoBrain’s eBooks! Here are some great gift ideas:
Protecting our environment is one of the biggest issues facing our planet today. But how do we solve a problem that can seem overwhelming-even hopeless? As Diane MacEachern argues in Big Green Purse, the best way to fight the industries that pollute the planet, thereby changing the marketplace forever, is to mobilize the most powerful consumer force in the world-women. MacEachern’s message is simple but revolutionary. If women harness the “power of their purse” and intentionally shift their spending money to commodities that have the greatest environmental benefit, they can create a cleaner, greener world. Spirited and informative, this book:
- – targets twenty commodities – cars, cosmetics, coffee, food, paper products, appliances, cleansers, and more – where women’s dollars can make a dramatic difference;
- – provides easy-to-follow guidelines and lists so women can choose the greenest option regardless of what they’re buying, along with recommended companies they should support;
- – encourages women to spend wisely by explaining what’s worth the premium price some green products cost, what’s not, and when they shouldn’t spend money at all; and – differentiates between products that are actually “green” and those that are simply marketed as “ecofriendly.”
- Whether readers want to start with small changes or are ready to devote the majority of their budget to green products, MacEachern offers concrete and immediate ways that women can take action and make a difference. Empowering and enlightening, Big Green Purse will become the “green shopping bible” for women everywhere who are asking, “What can I do?”
Above All, Be Kind teaches parents how to raise their children to be humane in the broadest sense — to become not only more compassionate in their interactions with family and friends, but to grow up to make life choices that demonstrate respect for the environment, other species, and all people. The book includes chapters for early, middle, teenage, and young adult years, as well as activities, issue sidebars, cases, tips, and profiles.
Radical Simplicity, by Jim Merkel $17.95 MSRP, $13.50 at EcoBrain
Imagine you are first in line at a potluck buffet. The spread includes not just food and water, but all the materials needed for shelter, clothing, healthcare, and education. How do you know how much to take? How much is enough to leave for your neighbors behind you – not just the six billion people, but the wildlife, and the as-yet-unborn?
In the face of looming ecological disaster, many people feel the need to change their own lifestyles as a tangible way of transforming our unsustainable culture. Radical Simplicity is the first book that guides the reader to a personal sustainability goal, then offers a process to monitor progress to a lifestyle that is equitable amongst all people, species, and generations. It employs three tools to help readers begin their customized journey to simplicity:
• It builds on steps from Your Money or Your Life so readers can design their own personal economics to save money, get free of debt, and align their work with their values.
• It uses refined tools from Our Ecological Footprint so readers can measure how much nature is needed to supply all they consume and absorb their waste.
• And by advocating time alone in wild nature, it opens readers to another reality with humanity as one species among many on a complex and inter-related planet.
Combining lyrical narrative, compassionate advocacy and absorbing science, Radical Simplicity is a practical, personal answer to 21st century challenges that will appeal as much to Cultural Creatives and students as to spiritual seekers, policy makers and sustainability professionals.
Storey Short Books – all $3.95 (over 130 to choose from)
Since the 1973 publication of Storey’s first Country Wisdom Bulletin, our commitment to preserving the arts, crafts, and skills of country life has never wavered. EcoBrain offers over 130 titles in this series of 32-page publications, and their remarkable popularity reflects the common desire of country and city dwellers alike to cultivate personal independence in everyday life.
Storey’s Country Wisdom Bulletins contain practical, hands-on instructions designed to help you master dozens of country living skills quickly and easily. From traditional skills to the newest techniques, Storey’s Bulletins provide a foundation of earth-friendly information for the way you want to live today.