I’m moody and tired because I don’t drink enough water. Well, that’s what a recent study suggests anyhow or my interpretation of it! And this is means even the slightest amount of dehydration.
They found that dehydration in men caused difficulty in memory and alertness. In women dehydration caused little reduction in cognitive ability, but did cause significant fatigue, tension and anxiety
How Much Water Should You Drink?
I’ve always heard the 8 glasses of water is the “golden rule” but according to the Mayo Clinic I should be drinking 2.2 liters each day which comes to 9 cups. That’s my problem I’m one cup short! I digress. We need to drink water to stay hydrated and the 9 cups is the adequate amount suggested daily but if you’re exercising, its humid and hot outside or your consuming alcohol your body will need more water to stay hydrated – 9 cups is just the start of what you should be drinking, from what I gather.
Why is Water Important for Your Health?
According to the Mayo Clinic water makes up 60 percent of your body weight and every system in your body is dependent on water – so drink up because your body is in need of the liquid gold called H20!
See this diagram from the Mayo Clinic, it specifically shows you how water effects your bodies system:
5 Tips for Drinking Enough Water
You’re probably thinking that it’s impossible to consume 2.2 liters each day and not run to the bathroom five million times. I can’t help you with the bathroom issue –I’m a frequent visitor! Here are some easy tips to help you drink enough water each day and hopefully not be so moody! I’m giving this a shot but my husband isn’t so sure that the water solution is working! He! He!
- Prepare. Each day fill your water bottles in the morning and put them in the fridge. Measuring each water bottle to see how many cups it will hold. For me 4 water bottles hold 9 cups of water total.
- Drink at each meal. For each meal consume one cup of water, 8 ounces.
- Drink when you are hungry. Do you feel like you have to have that bag of chips? Drink a big cup of water first; it might ward off the munchies! It’s worth s shot!
- Bathroom then water. After visiting the bathroom, drink a cup of water to replenish your system.
- Water before coffee. I know, you want your coffee – me too! First guzzle a glass of water with ice and lemon to get your system going.
Okay, how much water do you drink?