With a new puppy, accidents happen and if you are not careful your home can end up smelling like urine. With our Ellie, we’ve had accidents and most of these all of these are from us not paying close enough attention to her cues and signs that she needs to attend to personal matters.
With odor attracting dogs to return to a spot it is very important that the urine is cleaned thoroughly. There are dozens of products on the market begging for our dollar and promising us they will eliminate odor and stop your puppy for peeing again in the same spot. They might work but it is likely you could spend lots of green trying different products, polluting your home with toxic crap and possibly ruining your carpet just for the product to never work.
2. Blot the spot with water to dilute any urine.
3. Using a vinegar and water mixture (50/50) spray on the spot where the dog urinated. This will neutralize the odor. I do not soak the area.
4. Sprinkle with corn starch to soak up the wetness, even into the padding.
5. Cover with a chair or stool to mark the area and let dry for 24 hours.
6. Vacuum up the corn starch.
This has effectively worked for me. When I touch and smell the spot the next day it is dry and there is no odor. I’m also not using anything toxic or hazardous to my family or the pet. A bonus is my carpet is not ruined!
What tips and tricks do you have for housetraining a pet and handling “accidents”?