Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year and it’s just around the corner. I look forward to the falling leaves, changing colors and pumpkin pie. I love me some pumpkin pie. In fact, I love everything pumpkin which is why I want to share with you a quick way to make your very own pumpkin puree. I’ll be adding several of my favorite pumpkin recipes over the next few weeks but to start you’ll have to know how to make pumpkin puree – unless you prefer to buy the canned puree, which is always an option.
To begin you will need:
1 large pumpkin
How to make Pumpkin Puree:
- Using a very sharp knife remove the stem from the pumpkin.
- Cut the pumpkin into 8 wedges.
- Remove the seeds and pulp making sure that the pumpkin is completely clean.
- Place the pumpkin wedges into a large roasting pan.
- Bring the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Place the pumpkin wedges in the oven, uncovered and roast 60 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees and continue baking 2 hours.
- The pumpkin meat should be fork tender and no liquid should be visible under the skin that has formed.
- Turn off the oven but leave the pumpkin wedges in the oven with the oven door slightly cracked to ventilate for 2 more hours.
- Remove the wedges from the oven and cut away any skin or exceptionally dry pieces of meat.
- Place the wedges into the blender or food processor.
- Puree until you achieve the smooth texture you are looking for.
- Use the puree in your favorite pumpkin dish or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Serving amount depends on the size of the pumpkin.
When removing the dry parts of the meat after roasting remember that even though it is dry it is still tender enough to use. The parts that may be too dry and not usable will be around the area of where the stem was cut away.
Yum, now you have pumpkin puree and you’re ready to begin making pies, muffins, cakes, rolls, cookies and more! Stay tuned for some delicious pumpkin recipes!
What do you like to make with pumpkin puree?
What do you have to lose?
10 years of my best, healthy eating tips in one document, just because I love you. Just sign up and BAM, you can instantly download all 11 pages. It is good stuff, I promise.