Forever ago I wrote about bleach and eczema and to this very day it is one of my top read posts with a high number of comments. Anytime I seem to talk about chlorine bleach there is uproar on both sides of the fence. Those that inhale the strong scent and like its disinfecting whiting super powers and those that pretty much think the stuff is evil. I haven’t really found a middle of the road with it comes to chlorine bleach – you either use it or you don’t.
When I talked about carrots and chlorine bleach I was called names and basically told I was stupid (insert heavy sigh and eye roll). To be honest, I haven’t used chlorine bleach in my home for 4 years and I haven’t missed the stuff so I’m not sure why people swear by it but some do. I have to agree with Eco Child’s Play, I don’t believe chlorine bleach belongs in our homes or where children play, it just isn’t necessary in my opinion. Soaking my kids bottles, toys and pacifiers in the stuff, diluted or not is just silly – we can clean and disinfect without the harsh toxic and corrosive cleaner. As a past preschool teacher and child care worker, I know it used often for cleaning an disinfecting and I’m guilty for soaking toys, spraying tables and most likely not diluting properly – which is exactly what I suspect many teachers are guilty of but you only know what you know and do what you are told.
Chlorine bleach is highly caustic, meaning it can burn skin and eyes. It can be fatal if swallowed and it can easily aggravate asthma symptoms. With the ultra-concentrated chlorine bleaches sold on the market is easy over use or not dilute appropriately. If you have bleach in your home just look at the warning label. When it comes to the dangers of chlorine bleach and the link to childhood asthma and poising I spell it out here but what I want to now know is what you think.
So tell me do you use chlorine bleach at home or how about your child’s school or childcare center? What are your thoughts on using this cleaner around children and bleaching toys and their environment – does that really keep them safe?
Why not? Great tips for free!