Last Updated on
Summertime means fresh vegetables, grilling and late night dinners. When it’s hot outside the last thing I want to do is turn the oven on. Which is why I love sitting out on the deck smelling the fresh vegetables on the grill, waiting to savor them with a glass of vino and my feet up. That’s my kind of dinner! Here is a favorite summer salad recipes:
- 2 ears of corn, shucked, silk removed, washed
- 2 small summer (yellow) squash, washed and cut lengthwise into thirds
- 2 small zucchini, washed and cut lengthwise into thirds
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- fresh chopped mint if you desire this taste
- freshly grated Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- Bring grill to medium heat.
- Put corn on grill and cook about 15 minutes, turning several times, until browned and tender; remove and set aside.
- During the last 5 minutes, add the yellow squash and zucchini and grill about 5 minutes, turning over until charred evenly.
- When corn is cool, cut kernels off cob with a sharp knife, into a big bowl.
- Dice grilled zucchini and add to bowl with squash.
- Add diced tomatoes to bowl.
- Make dressing by whisking together the balsamic vinaigrette, lemon juice, garlic, chives, and basil, then pour into bowl with vegetables and toss together gently.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon out into individual salad bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
Serves about 4 to 6 people.