Last Updated on
I’ve professed my love for pumpkin and even though I love apples and apple pie and apple sauce and all things apple, I really love me some pumpkin. Pumpkin is also very, very healthy and can be added to many baked goods. According the pumpkin nook pumpkin one cup of pumpkin puree is low in calories, virtually fat free and loaded with vitamins:
Carbohydrates: 19 gram
Fat: less than 1 gram
Potassium: 588 milligrams
Protein: 2.4 grams
Vitamin A: 310% of RDA
Vitamin C: 20% of RDA
Besides the fact that I love the taste I love that it’s healthy for me too! Which is one reason I enjoy baking with pumpkin and wanted to share with you my spiced pumpkin muffin recipe with gold raisins, which are optional if you’re not a raisin fan?
What You Need:
1 C Greek yogurt
3 C pumpkin puree
1 C light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 C sugar and I often use the Stevia blend to reduce the calories
16 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
4 C whole grain flour
2 TBPS baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 TBSP cinnamon
3 TBSP ginger
1 1/2C golden raisins – which is optional
How to Make It:
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt, pumpkin, brown sugar, regular sugar and butter to the eggs.
- Whisk until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and the soda.
- Sift in the salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- Toss the dry ingredients to insure it is combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture.
- Mix just until the dry ingredients has been moistened through.
- Gently fold in the raisins, if you decide to add them.
- Set the oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Place paper muffin cups into a muffin tin.
- Fill each up 2/3 full of the batter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center muffins comes out clean.
These are delicious and I like to sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and sugar on top fresh out of the oven! I make these up and usually freeze half the muffins for another week of breakfast and snacks. Want to know how make your own pumpkin puree, check out these directions – it is super easy! Enjoy!