There is something about cake and a hot cup of coffee. My grandmother used to have a cookie or cake in the evening with black coffee. Black coffee that had sat in her Bunn coffee pot all day and had the consistency of tar. She would warm it up in the microwave and enjoy her nightly snack.
I lived with her for a summer and I loved sitting with her and sharing a piece of cake. We would tell stories, she would sip on her coffee and then it was time for Wheel of Fortune. So many wonderful memories and they came flooding back to me when I made this Walnut Cake. I do not know if it was the smell or the thought of her homemade bread with walnuts, but something triggered me to try a piece with black coffee and reminisce.
The cake was amazing but I will skip the black coffee next time. Try a piece for yourself and maybe you will remember someone special to you. If you do make this cake, use the organic, unsalted raw walnuts from Now Foods. They’re my favorite!
- ½ C. butter, melted or softened to room temperature
- ¾ C. granulated sugar
- ¾ C. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ C. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ C. NOW Foods walnuts, chopped into small pieces (I used my food processor)
- Powdered sugar for sifting over the cake once it cools.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray or grease an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Slowly fold in the flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Lastly, add in the walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Around 35 minutes insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Sift the powdered sugar over the top of the cake once it cools.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Disclaimer: I am a Now Foods Ambassador. I am compensated for my time.
What do you have to lose?
10 years of my best, healthy eating tips in one document, just because I love you. Just sign up and BAM, you can instantly download all 11 pages. It is good stuff, I promise.