Last Updated on
Back in October, I shared the beginning of my Invisalign® journey with you. I am currently on set number 11 and have 14 sets. There is the possibility I will need more than 14 sets for further adjustment. I am hoping this is not the case. I have seen a great deal of progress so far.
The last four months have certainly been a journey. Invisalign® clear aligners aren’t exactly easier than traditional braces. I’ve had both. If you are considering going this route or you are just starting your journey, I have some more tips for you and some truth bombs.
- Lipstick is next to impossible to wear. I wear it but very carefully and I am always checking my liners. Lipstick very easily smudges onto your liner. My tip is find a long lasting lipstick that doesn’t smudge easily or just skip lipstick all together and choose a lip balm.
- They are not exactly clear. People notice. Perhaps they are not “as” noticeable but you can certainly tell, especially if you have attachment bumps or buttons. Attachment bumps are attached to the front of your teeth and work with your aligner to shift your teeth. When you take your liner out to eat, these are visible. They often turn yellow, even if you are diligent about brushing. If they are bothersome, ask to have them polished. This made a huge difference for me.
- Your mouth and teeth will hurt. Don’t be fooled, you’ll still have discomfort. To help with this, put your new aligners in at night and take ibuprofen. The majority of the discomfort will take place when you’re asleep. For the first two days, eat soup, smoothies or soft foods. After day 2 or 3, you will be normal again.
- You might suffer from a dry mouth. I found using a mouthwash or a dry mouth spray to be very helpful.
- Dry lips are no fun and with the clear aligners, you will have dry lips. I talked about this in October but now besides using my favorite lip balm, I am using a lip scrub in the shower. This has been so helpful and soothing.
Peppermint Lip Scrub
- 3-4 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4-5 drops of peppermint essential oil (a little goes a long ways)
- Small container for storage
- Mix the sugar, honey and coconut oil together with a spoon in a bowl. Add 15 drops of peppermint essential oil and stir.
What you should know:
- I store mine in a 4 oz. glass jar and keep it in my shower. Each morning I use a little on my lips and this helps gently exfoliate the dry skin and moisture them. The scent is a great wake-me up reward too!
- I like to use this scrub for my elbows or sometimes feet too, which is why I make a larger amount. There are multiple uses in one small little jar. ?
- I use a lot of coconut oil because I like a softer scrub.
- Store for up to one month.
- Learn more about essential oils and using them safely.
Have you tried Invisalign® clear aligners? If so, what tips do you have?
Disclaimer: I am a NOW Foods Ambassador. I am compensated for my time.