Last Updated on
It has reached a mild 40 degrees Fahrenheit and I’m feeling like spring is just around the corner. This temperature probably sounds cold but in comparison to the 7 degrees below zero last week I could easily put on shorts. Growing up the rule used to be we could wear shorts when it was 50 degrees – no joke! With the smell of spring in the air and gardening on my mind, I’m ready to begin some spring cleaning with a twist.
The Green Mom’s Carnival this month is all about cleaning green and starting the spring cleaning but I’m feeling like I need to do more than just dust or sweep behind the coach. I feel more inspired to detox and get rid of the clutter in my home. The toxins sneak in here and there and the “stuff” it just piles up and even though I do my best it happens.
DETOX YOUR HOME FOR SPRING
1. Medicine Cabinets and Personal Care Products. The medicine cabinets are a mess with expired medicine, stuff I haven’t used in ages and just toxic not so good for my body personal care products. Time to check the dates, read the ingredients and then check out Earth911.com to find out how to correctly dispose of the waste because dumping stuff down the sink or throwing pills into the toilet is not earth friendly.
2. Unhealthy Food. My cupboards have suddenly accumulated not so good for us crackers, chips and other junk food and they need a good overhaul. Time to get back to eating healthy and revamping my grocery list. We can all fall of the wagon but it’s time to ride the organic gravy train and think smart.
3. Toxic Waste. Old paints, pesticides and other lawn care products that we have not used in years sit in our garage and basement. It’s time to properly dispose of these toxic and hazardous materials. PROPERLY is the key. Use Earth911.com to learn where in your area you can dispose of hazardous waste. It isn’t detoxing or very clean when you just pollute the water ways or hurt Mother Earth.
BYE-BYE CLUTTER HELLO SPRING
1. Messy Closets and Unrealistic Expectations. Ahhh, the stuff has just piled up over the winter!!! I haven’t worn clothing for years but it still hangs in my closet. Time to reevaluate what I do wear and what I don’t wear and get real – come on, I’m not going to fit into those skinny jeans anytime soon because my hips are not the same after having two babies!! If I haven’t worn it in the last year it is going to charity. I will feel so much better with an organized and clean closet this spring and summer.
2. The Toys have Taken Over. I have toys everywhere and it is too much. They aren’t organized and span from one end of the house to the next. Time to make some choices on which ones are worth keeping, which ones should go in a box for rainy days and then which ones to give away to charity.
3. Holiday Decorations. This Christmas I realized I had bins of Christmas decorations I haven’t used for years. What? My storage room is full of boxes that I never even use but that is silly. I need to go through the storage room and decide what is worth keeping. My trash can be other person’s treasures.
GOING GREEN FOR SPRING
I think that there is an urge to clean green this season and that excites me. How encouraging when just two years ago I looked like I had a third eye when I said the words Non-Toxic cleaners. I can say, I’ve got the non-toxic cleaners down and I over the course of the last few years I have tried just about every “green” cleaner on the planet, made about every concoction there is to scrub and clean with and read five dozen books and articles on the topic. For me, I’m going to clean like I always do with safe; eco-friendly cleaners and my personal favorites right now include Shaklee and ecostore USA. If you want some guidance on how to start having a non-toxic home I highly suggest consulting with a Green Irene. There are many great books on the market that have helped guide me on this going green journey. A great eBook that I’ve found is the because it helps you save money, it is practical and you can download it and don’t have to waste paper or kill a tree to read a good book! Whatever you do this spring, enjoy your family and start somewhere on the green path. Even if is just to replace on cleaner at a time or to open your windows verses buying an air freshener. Remember, doing something is better than nothing.
And be sure to check out the other suggestions from The Green Moms Carnival, which will appear at on Tuesday.